Church, Historical sight
Ergis #ID: 532
Church of Saint Augustine
The Augustinian monastery in Vrchlabí was founded by Maxmilian and Wenzel Morzin in 1705. His brother Václav continued his work after his death. The baroque monastery with classical structural elements designed by Austrian architect Mathias Auer was completed in 1725 but bishop Mauricius Adolf Karel of Pharsal inaugurated the monastery church not before September 27,1733. Husova 213
Seven portal altars located in lateral alcoves of the church aisle originated in 1726 – 1736. The organ, built in 1895 by the famous Rieger company of Krnov (Jägerndorf) and the benches with carved decorations are among the most valuable pieces of the interior. The central motive of the main altar - measuring 19 metres in height - is a remarkable painting depicting Saint Augustine, the patron saint of this the church created by painter France Dalliger from Prague. The altar of the Holy Cross on the right side of the presbytery, probably the work of Jan František Pacák the follower and assistant of Matyáš Bernard Braun, has most artistic value. The Artists Ignác and Gottfried Tauchmann from Vrchlabí created the remarkable ceiling paintings showing scenes of saint Augustine's life. A mural on the highest point of the vault above the main altar called "The Glorification of Church" shows 142 figures among which are some Bohemian saints. The church's interior as well as its architectural and structural arrangement of the nave form a complex, which is extremely harmonic, stylistic and emotional unity. Due of its excellent acoustics the monastery church serves as a concert hall.
The church is normally not open to public, you may however arrange a guided tour by contcting the town information centre MIC in Vrchlabi.
543 01 Vrchlabí